Role: Chief Scientist Vinyl Films Business
Organization: One of the largest global manufacturer and distributor of pressure-sensitive adhesive materials.
Description: In this role, the successful candidate will help establish multi-generational technology plans, guide and execute a portfolio of research and development film projects that lead to new product deployments in the area of calendered vinyl and other higher-value films for a leading company where individual and team success are recognized and rewarded.
- He/She in this role will help establish a new R&D Group and film pilot center focused primarily on calendered vinyl and other higher-value films.
- Champion deployments into next-generation film-based products that drive organic growth in existing or new markets.
- Conduct scouting activities leveraging internal films community of experts, external innovation team and strategic trade shows and conferences for competitive intelligence, key trends and sources of ideas to stimulate exploratory activities and grow the portfolio of film technologies and accelerate idea generation to product commercialization.
- Conduct patent analysis and develop intellectual property strategy with patent attorneys.
- Work closely with the Technical Director to lead and expand the core and adjacent film opportunities, create multi-generational product plans and technology roadmaps in support of business strategies. Collaborate cross-functionally with other business functions to execute projects.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science, or equivalent with strong business acumen and senior business management communication and interaction. MS candidates with demonstrated experience in shaping and conducting R&D efforts, commercialization of technologies also considered.
- 10-15 years experience in vinyl materials, film development, and specifically in calendered vinyl R&D. Greater than 15 years experience for MS candidates.
- Detailed knowledge and network of vinyl film manufacturers, associated equipment and key industry experts in the areas of vinyl and higher value-add functional films around the world.
- Strong technical basis in commercial vinyl materials, vinyl-based polymer science, mechanics, rheology and calendered process techniques and equipment to help shape, guide and execute fundamental research and capabilities that result in differentiated patentable technologies, unique business value proposition and accelerate innovation activities.
- Development work to be performed at future pilot facilities collocated with the Films Center of Excellence at the Global Innovation Center near Pune, India as well as with external vinyl film suppliers, customers and end-users globally. 10-20% travel will be required to maintain working relations with external sources of innovation and the business divisions.